F18-2 “Genome of a Neanderthal-Denisovan hybrid individual” – Team 2

This video explains the intermingling of two groups of early hominids, Denisovans and Neanderthals.

4.7(94.74%) 38 votes
This entry was posted in F18 Genetics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to F18-2 “Genome of a Neanderthal-Denisovan hybrid individual” – Team 2

1. Ashley Salen says:

Background information familiarized viewer with information. Infographic were fun to watch and did an excellent job at conveying information along with the speaker. Graphs and figures were explained coherently. Class topics such as gene flow and biological species concept were discussed and made relevant to the article.

2. Chloe Pryor says:

The video had really good supporting visuals to explain the data and concepts from the study. I loved the explanation, especially with the animations in the beginning. Good job guys!

3. Tana Nguyen says:

I loved the editing for this video! It was very clean and easy to follow. The graphic and editing kept me engaged throughout the whole video. I liked how you guys talked about gene flow and biological species concept in connection to the article and class notes.

4. Tamia Jones says:

The commentary inserted throughout the video made it fun to watch! Frankly, I had never heard of Denisovans before this video, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to learn about them. I think you did a really good job explaining the graphs in the video, and defining concepts we may have forgotten or had not seen before. Great job overall!

5. Payal Patel says:

This video was interactive and easy to understand with the animations and figures from your article. I really like the introduction because it seems like you are about to begin telling a story.

6. Brooke Mckenzie says:

It is so interesting that they were able to tell the mother and father type of the 13 year old. The video was well made and easy to follow which is very helpful when covering such a complex topic. The simple graphics allowed for me to understand the topic in the simplest of terms. I loved it!

7. Jessica Winkler says:

I really like how this video uses simple images to explain complex topics such as the background info. This allows the viewer to not get overwhelmed with the info. I like how you specifically referenced things from class.

8. Vivien Ly says:

This video was very interesting on how all this information came from sequencing a 4000 year old bone fragment. The visuals were engaging and entertaining. I like how you guys tied all the information to the biological species concept and gene flow.

9. Dorothy Lubin says:

Wow its crazy how I’ve heard so much about Neanderthals but not about Denisovans until watching this video. Good job connecting biological species concepts such as gene flow to the video and how the different human species migrated from place to place. I especially liked the beginning which was so clear to follow. Cool video!

10. Jaynie Rice says:

Y’all did a wonderful job explaining this paper. The graphics used to help explain the ideas were very helpful. Also, you made good connections from the paper to what we have learned in class. The video was very captivating and overall enjoyable to watch. Good job!

11. Elizabeth Blackmon says:

I found this topic very fascinating and the presentation of the information was very well done. I liked the animations at the beginning and the ending tied the study to the class effectively. The schematics from the study were easy to understand with the explanation given. Overall, great job!

12. Molly Niepoky says:

Your graphics made the content a lot easier to understand and I loved how you took the beginning of the video to give a brief explanation. It made the entire video much easier to understand and a lot clearer! Great job!

13. Julia Bartlewski says:

This video is extremely well done. The graphics and visuals are clear and easy to follow. I found the topic of Denisovans so fascinating. I enjoyed the incorporation of the map in the graphics. The graphs and figures were easy to understand, and I learned a lot. Fantastic Job!

14. Jessica Meredith says:

I loved the visuals of the video; they had sort of a Crash Course style that perfectly matched and supported the voiceover. You guys made the topic interesting, and defined all the key terms very clearly. The explanations of the graphs were easy to understand, and the editing was flawless. Amazing video!

15. Sunny Jin says:

This video has such good quality. The graphics are engaging and information well-explained and connected. I was really glad to learn about Denisovans and Neanderthals, which I never learned about before. And good job connecting the article back to class concepts!

16. Aruodo Nnanna says:

Great video! Clear narration, professional visuals/editing. Thorough and informative and most importantly, broken down at a level that could be clearly understood by someone who isn’t very knowledgable on the topic. Awesome figures/graphs as well.

17. David Osayi says:

I find it crazy how Neanderthals get all the spotlight while Denisovans are swept under the rug. I had never even heard of them until this video! The presentation and graphics were pretty good, and the beginning of the video was alluring in the sense that it seemed like the beginning of a book or story. One of the major things that stuck out to me was the connection between your topic and gene flow (thumbs up)

18. Anastasia Pavlyuk says:

This topic was very interesting to me! Although it is complex, you guys did a great job of breaking it down and familiarizing the audience with the topics. The graphics helped me understand the topic even more, bravo!

19. Thy Nguyen says:

This was a very interesting topic that was also explained pretty well. I liked the comments in the video such as the “whatsup fam” which made the video funny or entertaining in a way. There were also plenty of figures which helped my understanding up the topic.

20. Nina John says:

This video was really engaging! I found the information about Denisovans interesting; they are not as well known. The graphs and figures included were relevant to the data. The connections you made to the previous modules were clear.

21. Anna Wang says:

The background information was appropriate and ensured viewers understood the context in which this study occurred. The infographics and comments were fun to watch/read and helped keep me engaged throughout the video. Overall, you did an excellent job at fully explaining the article’s main ideas, figures, and class topics!

22. Veronica Winkeljohn says:

Really great video and a very interesting topic! The animations are really, really professional, and the audio was clear throughout the video. I enjoyed the map mid-video that showed the locations of the Denisovans, Neanderthals, and modern humans (very interesting). The connections to Biology 1511 towards the end of the video were very clear as well.

23. Alexandra Edwards says:

This video did a nice job explaining a unique topic. I can definitely say that I learned a large amount from the video with lots of new interesting facts! If explained wrong, I think this topic can get very confusing very quickly, but that was no issue here. The style and editing was clean-well done!

24. Sarah Pearson says:

Right off the bat this video got my attention and I actually wanted to watch it! Good job on the layout, graphics, and explanations. The video could have used a conclusion because it ended quite suddenly, but besides that, everything looked great!

25. Susan wang says:

You had great visuals and animations! You explained the concepts well. It was clear and concise. This is a really interesting topic to learn about, and you did a great job of explaining the graphics.

26. Shelsea Escobar-Quintanilla says:

The visuals and animations in this video were amazing! They made this video so interesting and easy to follow! I really enjoyed how you tied the information you were presenting to the concepts that we have learned in class now. Amazing job!

27. Lily Torp says:

The narrations for each section were very easy to understand, and coupled with the graphics I was able to clearly see what your study was saying. Also, the animations were were great and the video was overall enjoyable to watch!

28. Matthew Harris says:

definitely my favorite topic, your video gave good information while connecting concepts we learned in class such as phylogenetic trees to present such info. Great job guys!

29. Aaqila Faizer says:

I like the subtle humor of the video. The animations of the video were simple but quite helpful towards understanding the video’s concepts. Overall great job and interesting topic!

30. Allison Jara says:

Great job providing background information about Neanderthals and Denisovans that made the video easy to follow along with. Also, I love the animations and visuals, it makes it easy to tell that you put a lot of effort into this!

31. Joviane Leandre says:

Great video! You clearly had a very good grasp of the topics discussed in the article and did a great job of relating it back to class material. The graphics and visuals were also really helpful and entertaining.

32. Akhil Kulkarni says:

Very good video. You did a great job at communicating your topic and explaining the necessary background. The connection to the overall class theme was apparent and well expressed.

33. Yeun Soo Lee says:

Great video! The video contained lots of informations with diagrams to teach the concept of the study. I really liked the visual representaion of the concept and connection between the things we learned in class. Good job!

34. Shelsea A Escobar-Quintanilla says:

This is one of my favorite videos! The editing was very nice and the animations made this topic very easy to understand. Great job!

35. Michael Brimer says:

Hard to comment on my own video but I liked how it turned out. Lots of hard work on the part of my group and impressed with the effort that each of them put into their individual sections.

36. Katerina Shalikashvili says:

Very professional video! The graphs and animations were very impressive, and all of the concepts were explained very clearly. Well done!!

37. Victoria Winkeljohn says:

I really enjoyed this video! You introduced a topic, broke it down, and, ultimately, related it back to our class. Additionally, your visuals were incredible. Very great job.

38. Isabella Savell says:

The timing between graphics and explanations was impeccable. The platform used to make the video gave great graphics and made the video entertaining to watch. Really great job explaining this article!

39. Neha Bhatia says:

I loved the visuals on this video, and I thought they were very engaging and easy to follow. The topic is interesting and complex, and I learned a lot. Great job!

40. Audris Jones says:

Good job breaking down this complex topic. The graphics and animations were very easy to understand. This was a great way to give more information to make the topic easier to understand. Good explanation of the topic.

41. Stacy Aragon says:

The use of graphics was great in this video! You did a god job of expanding on the information in the article and relating it to the big concepts! Great job!